Hon. Irwin Joseph, (retired)
Resolving disputes quickly and fairly is my goal. Mediation of family issues, civil cases, employment, property and Injury claims is my strength. Concluding claims at the earliest opportunity is my objective.
Starting in 1992, after a lengthy training in mediation, I realized that there was a positive, valuable alternative to traditional litigation. I began mediating cases with regularity and with terrific results. Litigants were able to resolve their differences effectively and efficiently without going to court.
After closing my private practice, I took the bench in January, 2001 as a Superior Court Commissioner in Santa Cruz County. I presided over, Unlimited Civil Court (1.5 years), Family Court (4 years), Juvenile Delinquency Court (1 year), and Misdemeanor Criminal Court (3.25 years).
In 2011, after a short hiatus from the Court, I began serving as All Purpose Judge in Santa Clara County Superior Court Family Court, an assignment I enjoyed for over four years. I retired from the Santa Clara Bench in February, 2016 after almost five years.
Since 2016, I mediate privately and serve as a private Judge by Stipulation in the Bay Area. I travel to the South Bay every month and conduct limited hearings via Zoom in between trips north.
Since 2019, I only agree to engagement in represented cases. Too often, self-represented parties ask questions, the answers for which require giving legal advice, thereby compromising my neutrality.
Now mediating, arbitrating and serving as private judge online (www.MediateYourDisputeOnline.com).
I have conducted thousands of mediations (and mini-mediations) as an Attorney and Bench Officer in Family, Civil and Probate matters.
Areas Of Practice
- Boundary Disputes
- Civil (general)
- Divorce (all issues)
- Divorce (parenting)
- Land Use
- Personal Injury
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harrassment
Fees and Provisos
A retainer may be required.
Fees are as follows:
- $485 per hour (4 hour minimum).
- No charge for travel time.
- No charge for time spent scheduling.
- No charge for file setup.
- No administrative fees.
- Preparation time at normal hourly rate
A cancellation within fifteen calendar days of a scheduled session is subject to a $1000 fee. My approach is Strategic. Understanding that agreements fashioned by the parties are ideal, I begin each mediation with a joint session to resolve undisputed issues. While in caucus, I cautiously move from a facilitative to an evaluative role and then back, in order to preserve the rights of the parties to fashion their own agreements.
When requested by all of the parties, I will maintain an evaluative approach in the session.
- 1995;Basic 40 Hours Training;UCSC Extension
- 2006;Straus/Pepperdine--Family Law (18 hours);J. Melamed, N. Meierling
- 2009-2019;Straus/Pepperdine--Family Law (18 hours). Malibu, Vermont Law School, Baltimore, Nashville.;I. Joseph/ D. Saposnek
- 2011, 2013;Straus/Pepperdine--Family Law (13 hours-2sessions);I. Joseph/ D. Saposnek
- 2015;Straus/Pepperdine/Singapore: Mediating the LItigated Case (32 hours);I. Joseph/ P.Robinson
- 2016, 2018;Straus/Pepperdine/Singapore: Family Law Mediation (18 hrs);I.Joseph/D. Saposnek
- 2018-2019;California DCSS Attorneys and Staff, Santa Clara San Mateo DCSS Attorneys and Staff (3 hours each);I. Joseph
- 2020;Online Advanced Mediation Training (2 sessions @ 4 hrs each);I. Joseph